This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Good Loser



Stepping out of the shower this morning, I got an idea.  It's time to focus my energy and my writing on being a good loser.  (The opposite of Rowan Atkinson in the above clip.)  Let's face it, my writing is much more interesting when I'm sharing some of the struggles in my own life, past or present. 

I've struggled with my weight for over 27 years now.  Most of the time the fat is winning.  Lately, that extra fat has caught up with me.   Not only do I need to take two different medications to keep my blood pressure down, I am supposed to take medication for high cholesterol.  The side effects were so unpleasant that I stopped taking it.  So far I haven't really changed the way I eat.  I have, however, done a lot of thinking about it.  What keeps me from doing what I know I should be doing?  What do I need to change in order to become a good loser?  For my vanities sake, I'd like to be a "good-looking loser" just like the kind that Meiko sings about here.



So for the sake of my health, for my children and most of all for myself, I'm going to really focus my Just 10 energies and writing on the journey to lose weight.  Along the way, I'll find myself, the self that has been hiding under my fat costume.  While I have the genetic predisposition to assume the shape of a German beer stein as I age, my eating habits have a huge emotional component that I have hidden under a mountain of empty calories.

In the days ahead, I'm going to record my efforts to become a good loser.  I'm going to also apply the Just 10 principles to the problem of losing weight.   The game is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment