This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Timid Beginning

Fear is a very isolating thing.  Most of us feel less afraid when we share that fear with others.  If I shared my fears about myself and my unworthiness, I'd be revealing how dark I was inside.  I couldn't do this as a child.  I paid a very high price for keeping this secret.  Years later, I was to discover that  the convent was filled with secrets.  They were not good secrets.  Over the years, I learned that it's better to know the truth and be able to deal with it, than to suffer a secret.  I learned that all of us carry a bit of darkness inside.  Not being able to admit that to anyone can make a prison out of the self.

As a timid child whose shaky start in first grade set me apart from my more mature peers, the years ahead were difficult.  I was often picked on and made the butt of jokes.  When your class consists of 19 children, it's almost impossible to hide. Among many other things, I remember my classmates making fun of my winter coats.  My mother was a skilled seamstress who refashioned her old coats into winter wear for me. I thought she did a good job and I liked my heavy warm coats.  As a young child, the eldest in an expanding family,  there was rarely enough money.  Making do with what we had was all I knew.  For the most part, I didn't mind.  That alone tended to set me apart.   One day, when a wore a "new" old coat to school a few of my classmates decided to chase me and throw rocks at me.  I was afraid of being hit and of being caught by my manically chanting peers who found my coat hilarious.  I ran and fell, tearing up my knees and the palms of my hands.   My pursuers were afraid that I'll tell.  I did not.  I could not.  I knew the penalty of my honesty would cost me later.  Part of me was angry but a stronger part of me was afraid that somehow I deserved it.  After all, didn't I have a guardian angel keeping a ledger of my misdeeds?  It's hard to explain how someone so young could feel so bad, could feel deserving of this harassment but I did.

I did my best to melt into the background.  Teachers would keep trying to draw me out.  If I didn't raise my hand in class, they would call on me anyway.  I was usually so afraid of not paying attention and not knowing the right answer, that soon,  I developed into a pretty good student.  Math remained my dark continent.  When doing fractions and decimals in grade school, I needed glasses, glasses my parents couldn't afford.  I missed several years of math before the teachers found out that I couldn't see anything they were writing on the blackboard.  When the entire class took some sort of assessment in the 5th grade, I scored surprisingly high.  Some how this positive became a negative when it was announced to the class who had the highest scores.  From then on, I was also teased for being smart.  I felt the burden of having to live up to something that I wasn't sure I deserved.  My teachers would sometimes mutter in frustration when math continued to be confusing to me,  "I don't understand how someone so smart, can't understand this."
I felt only shame.

By being shy and holding on to the feeling of being different, I was different.  There were many children I liked and who liked me but in a group, they were often afraid to show this fondness.  In a tiny town, I felt like a social pariah.  Fear that someone would discover my unworthiness haunted me.  I seemed to skip over childhood and began acting like a responsible little adult.   I had younger brothers and sisters who needed caring for, there was always a lot of work to do at home.  I took on the role of responsible eldest daughter  and made it my own.  This responsible young lady persona was the source of my identity.  If I couldn't fit in with children my own age, then I'd do my best to impress the adults in my world.

Of course, the adults I wanted to impress most were my parents.  My parents were overwhelmed by the demands of life with too little money and too many mouths to feed.  Joy was a stranger in our house.  There were times of laughter and fun but the dark specter of unhappiness always stood in the corner.  No matter how hard I tried, I could never seem to win my parents' approval.  So, I learned to appeal to my teachers for the approval I desperately needed.  If I could be a good, quiet and obedient student, I could and did earn their praise.  Many of these teachers were Sisters from the Sisters of St. Marys of Oregon.  I was still afraid of them but they also became the source of approval I so desperately sought.  This dynamic was to have devastating consequences in the years ahead when the convent began to reveal its dark secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment