This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Librarian vs Super Hero

If I were a super hero, my mild-mannered alter ego would be Marian,the Librarian.  No, I wouldn't be as pretty as Shirley Jones in Music Man.  I'd be way too conspicuous if I were.  If I looked like me, no one would ever suspect I was a super hero.  It would be the perfect cover.

As for my super power . . . flying would be nice but I'm not sure it would be very practical.  Even if I could circumnavigate the globe in minutes, I could still only divert one disaster at a time.  Even a whole Justice League can only handle so much.
Our sphere of impact would still be limited by our small number.  Super heroes are not a dime a dozen.

But back to flying.  Flying has a huge downside.  With only my super hero frame between me and the great blue yonder, birds, the occasional meteorite and insects would be waiting to really muck up my fancy super hero costume.  It's all about the costume you know.  Even with a super hero body hurtling through airspace at amazing speed it would either be bitterly cold or beastly hot.  Flying is out.

Invisibility then? Nah, I already overhear more than I want to.  Super strength?  That doesn't appear to me either.  There are already a lot of machines and people running those machines.  I don't need to use super strength to put any body out of work.  X-ray vision?  That gets a loud, "NO".  Enough said.

My ideal super power would have to be none at all like Batman.  Batman matches his intellect and commitment to goodness to triumph over his adversaries.  He's a good Dr. Moriarty.    I think Dr. Moriarty has a much better outfit.  That Bat Suit is way too figure contouring.  I shudder to imagine how badly such a get-up would look on chunky me.  Oh, I've got to get that picture out of my mind.

I'd love to have Wonder Woman's invisible plane and bullet-deflecting bracelets.  You never know when a girl might need a set of those bracelets.  There is a problem with the plane though.  Where would a mild -mannered librarian park it?

So maybe a good super power is speed, like the Flash.  I could run from enemies from everything bad on earth.  But wait!  On a round planet, the faster I run the sooner I return to the place from whence I started.  "No place to run to, Baby.  No place to hide." 

Forget the Flash, forget running, speed, strength, x-ray vision and flying.  All are strengths that have a pretty significant down side.  The ideal super power doesn't seem to exist for me.  I'd make a much better full-time librarian with no alter ego and no heavy baggage, invisible planes or otherwise.  It's easier to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment