This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Balance



If I had this view of Northern Ireland's coast every day, I might be better about getting some exercise.  I don't.  So getting myself up off the couch or outdoors has been very difficult.  Finally, after months of inactivity, I forced myself to go to our local community center.  While it lacks the raw beauty of Ireland, it's still a nice building with beautiful windows looking out on the fields and trees outside.



It still wasn't the place I wanted to be.   What I want and what I need are often two different things.  Sometimes they are more than two different things.  After one lap around the indoor track, I wanted to quit.  Inside my head, I hear,  "I can't believe you're so out of shape!" 
Another inner voice just growls, "Grrrrrr."
"Don't listen to them", a third voice says.  "You've got to start some where.  Don't forget that you were sidelined by shingles, that insane dizziness, numerous colds, low energy."
"That's right!  I should congratulate myself for being here today." 
That seemed to end the silly inner quarrel.   The short laps got a little easier.  I walked a half mile before stopping.  That's progress.  Sometimes you have to start out small. 

While my inner arguments were taking place, I was also aware that I have favored my left side.  The muscles in my leg have been telegraphing complaints lately.  They protest that they haven't been used enough.  As I walked around the track, I reminded myself to distribute my weight as evenly as I could.  My left side didn't like this but it knows it has to be done.  Balance is a good thing.  Coddling the weaker side has only made it weaker. 

This awareness filled my heart as I walked the short distance.  Balance is a good thing.  Achieving balance requires effort.  To attain it often requires some pain but it's pain with a purpose.  This will never be achieved if I retire to my old brown recliner, my throne of isolation and comfort. 

I've devoted energy to avoiding exercise, balance, pain.  Today, my body reminded me that sometimes what's good for us in the long run might hurt in the short run.  Sometimes, this is the only way to grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment