This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Chicken of Depression

This Far Side comic by Gary Larson makes me want to get the coffee mug.  It's been a favorite for years and my anthem the last week or so.  I've gotten so sick of my "chicken of depression" this week, I'm going to kill them all and replace them with ducks.  At least ducks are more suited to the climate, i.e. all the bloomin' rain.

It's been really difficult to put a positive spin on things.  "You can cover a cow pie with frosting but underneath it's still  manure."  (I know it may sound like Annie Oakley but I think it's me.  And then, again, I may have heard it some where and now hi-jack it as my own.)   As a tot, I used dried cow pies for Frisbees.  A fine Frisbee do they make.  Looks like reality is asking me to return to my roots, pick up a few cow patties and toss them about the pasture of life.  Some times, it's the only sensible option left.

As often as I sail upon the river of Denial, my chickens always follow me.  They never let me get away with much.  That stupid loud rooster will be the first to go.  Stupid chickens.    Their infernal clucking has made it hard to write.  Who can be creative with all that idiotic noise? 

Today, I'm kicking them out, thinking about ducks and the pretty pond they'll sail on.  The chickens of depression will be replaced with the ducks.  These ducks are a definite upgrade.

 "Chickens, you are tomorrow's soup. Make way for the ducks of derring-do."

1 comment:

  1. I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this.. psychiatric evaluation

    ReplyDelete