This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Friday, March 25, 2011

Poetry Challenge

An unusual thing happened today.  I was sitting in a freshman English class.  They were wrapping up their section on poetry and each student was reading an original poem or a piece of a poem they had written.  The teacher read her poem first and then went around the room.    I'd actually written one when it was assigned just for the fun of it and I thought to myself,  I'd like to read my poem too.

All the students were finished and one young man said, "What about Carol?  I'm sure she wrote one."  A second voice added to the first and the teacher turned to me and said, "You don't have to.  It's up to you. I don't want to let them put you on the spot." 
They probably were trying to put me on the spot.  I was prepared and savored the moment.
I said, "I  did write one for the I Am poem assignment and I don't mind reading it.  And, I did.  The room was pretty quiet for a few moments.  One kid gave me a fist bump. A nice way to end a Friday.
I'm letting this be my entry for today.



I Am

I am the wind
howling at the top of the world.

I am the soft rain
falling in the desert.

I am the lone bell
tolling in the night.

I am laughter
and the song it sings.

I am the Alpha and Omega
of all longing.

I am nothing
and everything.

I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment