This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Friday, March 11, 2011

Dog Days



What are "dog days?" 

Here are two definitions.

1 : the period between early July and early September when the hot sultry weather of summer usually occurs in the northern hemisphere



2 : a period of stagnation or inactivity

The first definition I actually love, the second, not so much.    While this period of our lives isn't really stagnation or inactivity, I sometimes feel a certain stagnation of the soul.  

Dogs, I love but you've got to admit that not every reference to dogs is a positive one. 
"I worked like a dog." 
"She's a dog"
"Dog-gone-it!"
"You, dog."
"Son-of-a b*^&*h"
and just plain, "b*&%h."

Some times, I feel a special kinship to our canine companions.  When life is hard, and I feel like I've been working like a dog.   At  those times, life feels like a cruel master.   He beats his mongrel curs because they make him feel weak.  He kicks them because he desperately wants to feel strong.  I am one with the dogs.  I look at the cruel master with my big sad dog-eyes and for a split second we see each other as we really are.  I crawl off into a corner to hide.  He gently places a bone outside his door for me to find and turns out the light.

My children have often wished they were dogs.  Lately, I've heard some of the teens at work wish they were dogs.  There isn't anything negative here.  They want the freedom, love and affection given a good pet.  They also love the idea of no homework.  I bet they want to be the dog that eats homework.  Many children look at dogs and see a life of love and freedom.  They don't worry about gaining seven years to humans every one.  Not being able to talk doesn't seem a problem.  I can't help but wonder if they don't feel heard now. 

I'm probably over thinking it.  A very good dog, I would not make.  Not being able to talk would make for one nervous pooch.  I would enjoy a good game of fetch now and again, though.  Oh, and pets, lots of pets.  Wait!  Chasing my tail just for the pure joy of it is something I would enjoy.  Waking up my owners with sloppy wet dog licks. . . that sounds dog-gone-good too!

I think I dismissed this dog fantasy too quickly.  Maybe being a dog isn't as bad as I first thought.  Maybe, I'm not ready for the dog days to be over just yet.  Maybe, I feel like I'm working my tail off but maybe that's the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment