This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wave

 


Hokusai (1760-1849)

Katsushika Hokusai, Japan's best known artist, is ironically Japan's least Japanese artist. Japan's best known woodblock print, The Great Wave, is very un-Japanese. Welcome to the artist often known as Hokusai.

Thinking Thursday

A doctor recently prescribed Aller-Chlor.  It's an antihistamine.   It was supposed to help with the congestion that has followed a sinus infection.  It did not.  It did light up my brain cells in a new and unusual way.  My brain never ceases to surprise me.

Normally, I think in words but with this new drug in my system, my neurons were tickled into thinking in pictures.  These pictures weren't based on words.  They were based on feelings.  

I was told that the medication would make me sleepy.  I looked forward to a nap.  Instead of rest, I got a mindful of art work.  As I lay there, aware of feelings that I could not capture with words, this image dominated my thoughts.  It hung on the wall inside my head.    There were many other images there but none as compelling as this "Wave".   I sat down in front of it.

It was me without words.


The mood has passed but the image remains.  Today, I went in search of the image.  I found it easily on the first try.  Today, I'm going to sit in front of it.  I think it may hold a secret, something that I really need to know.  It came to me as a gift.  I accept it with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment