This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Saturday, August 14, 2010

Heaven Pennies



A few mornings ago, my Just 10 walk was haunted by this tune. I'd heard that every time you find a penny on the street, someone in heaven is thinking about you. So when my children were still very small, we started looking for Heaven Pennies. Over the years we've found enough to fill an old sugar jar. While I seriously doubt that a particular coin was placed in our path by a specific person who has gone before us, heaven pennies do seem to appear when they are needed most. One especially dark day was brightened by the discovery of 38 pennies in a Dollar Store parking lot. I've learned not to question the serendipity of such occurrences.

On my recent walk, I was eager to find a Heaven Penny. My eyes searched the trail before me. There were no coins. I did find a pair of mens sunglasses by the side of the road. They were still in good condition. I took them home to my husband. He was happy with my find. While I was looking for pennies, heaven sent something else. This appears to be the anthem of my life.

Right now, a lot of people near to my heart are struggling with dark times. I would love to wave the magic wand of happiness and serenity over them. I cannot. In their pain, I often have to face my own. After years of living and struggling to make peace with the pain within, I have learned many things. Some things are not meant to be taken away easily. Pain and struggle are two of them. They are two things that shape our character and refine our souls. Happiness and success will never do as fine a job. I cannot prove this to you. I certainly can't prove this to the friends and loved ones that are having a hard time right now. Yet, I know this to be the truth. I'll stake my life on it.

This morning when I sat down to write about Heaven Pennies. I opened a folder on my desk. On the top of the pile of assorted newspaper clippings, magazine articles and notes, there sat this old clipping.

I Asked God

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn to obey.
I asked for health, that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for--but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

This poem by an unknown author was my Heaven Penny today. I share it with you. Do not lose hope. You were born to have a wonderful life. When things feel the darkest, great work is being done. There is great work going on within you. The only way out is through. Hope. Believe. What is on the other side will amaze you.

The credit for the song, Pennies from Heaven goes to:
"Pennies from Heaven" is a 1936 American popular song with music by Arthur Johnston and words by Johnny Burke. It was introduced by Bing Crosby in the 1936 film of the same name.
Thanks to Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment