This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Saddle Up

Today's Just 10 with the kids had a western theme.  We  left for the library and a handful of errands this morning.   Dad remained at the ranch.  He's tired after the summer roundup and is eager for their return to a more distant pasture, school.  Mostly, I'm going to miss the critters, aka little Mr. A. and Miss S. 

After we saddled up,  I told them we're having a western theme day and that I was going to write about it.  It was brainstorming time, and I needed their ideas.   Little Mr. A talked about what he'd learned last year about the pioneers.  Little Miss S. has some good input as well.  Soon we were discussing the value of a simpler lifestyle and the much more immediate link between work and survival in years past.  Not a bad discussion for a Mama Maverick and her young posse.   We rode high in the saddle, our mode of conveyance rolling across the valley at a fast clip.  Young Miss S. suddenly said,  "I've had a pretty good summer." I thoughtfully add, " I did too."  I asked young Mr. A. how he'd rate his summer.  He replied,  "It was a good one.  I had a good time."

I suddenly share what I think is one of the best things about summer.  "I love riding in a car with the windows down when the weather is hot."  They both add, "I love that too!"  Mr. A. says, "I love the nicer weather"  Miss S. and I both concur.  We forgot about all  about our western theme.  We were enjoying each others company.

Once at the library, we each head different directions.  I've taken the kids along on my library visits since they were babies.  They are comfortable here.  We head out in different directions.  Little Mr. A. is going through a James Bond and supernatural occurrences phase.  Miss S. is eager to find another novel and finish yet another book report entry in the library's summer reading program/contest.  When I try to tell my kids to read, they won't.  If I turn them loose in the library, they'll always find something interesting.   Maybe you can lead a horse to water and the water will look so good, they'll drink without any encouragement.  Looks like the western theme was only hiding behind a few water barrels.

When each of us has their fill of lookin', we find each other easily.  We're ready to saddle up again.  The local general store is our next stop.  It's really Walmart.  It's a sorry thing when your income level forces you to patronize an establishment whose morals offend one's higher sensibilities.  Walmart is a tawdry madam.  She's got the biggest business of its kind in the town.  We know what happens there but we look away.   Once in the House of Big W, me and the younguns split up.  It's so nice that I don't have to watch them every minute anymore.  For the most part,they are well-behaved and polite in public.   They want to try things on their own. They are growing up.  I worry that they'll be too tempted by the allure of the wares here  They'll want things that won't satisfy. Their desire will make them unhappy, cause them to compare themselves to others.   A curse upon the House of Big W. and its evil roll-back prices.

We find each other easily.  We are three magnets, drawn toward our shared DNA.  We are three hungry Vancouverites who find themselves drooling at the deli counter, the very heart of evil in this House of Loose Morals.  We purchase chicken tenders and jojos.  The bargain beef jerky from our stop at Walgrens lays forgotten in our saddle bags.  I suddenly realize that I'm being a bad influence.  I'm not setting a good example.  We're in evil Big W. and we're buying junk to eat.  I'm in need of a good old-fashioned revival meeting.  That and maybe a kick in my trousers or bustle.  I am a lady, after all.  In just a few hours, I've gone from being a good school marm-type mom to sitting down with the devil in the devil's own parlor.  I can almost hear the distant whinny of my horse waiting out front.  Its grown impatient and so have I.

Over head, it is high noon.  We, three riders, head back to the ranch.  Little Mr. A. who minutes earlier was complaining about the work he was afraid would be his upon return, changed his tune.  He's ready to ride.  We load up the groceries, along side the basket of books, and junky lunch fare and head on out.  It's been a good ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment