This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The End: A New Beginning

School starts tomorrow. I start a new job. I've been in mourning for the loss of summer for the last two weeks. Today, reality hits hard. I love my summers. I also have to work. It's time to move forward.

This morning as I was checking in with various web sites I found a synopsis of a new book. (Beyond Blue is a site I check frequently to help me keep on track.) Stephen Fogle has written a book called: My Mind is Not Always My Friend. Since this is a reality I know well, I had to know more.



I have a few reservations about mentioning a self-help book written by a business man. It's hard to accept his message without questioning the motive i.e. is this just another way to get rich? My bigger question is that despite the motive is the message hopelessly tainted? I'm inclined to think not. Why not derive some helpful advice if helpful advice is there?

I'm particularly impressed by the guiding principles he outlines. Fogle supports bringing a mindful awareness to our lives, one that questions why we behave and why we feel the way we do. Since mindfulness has actually made a huge difference in my own life, I'm sharing his guiding principles here.

* The truth is just the truth.
* Feelings are not facts.
* You can't argue with another's perceptions.
* Conflicting feelings can co-exist peacefully until they are coupled with action.
* Every time something new happens, I go back to my old ways--and I need to snap out of it.
* Don't do unto others what you wouldn't have them do unto you.
* Don't stay with familiar pain out of fear of awkwardness or unknown pain.
* We can put our bad feelings into others, just as they can put their into us.
* Life is lived in the little things.


Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/beyondblue/2010/08/my-mind-is-not-always-my-frien.html#ixzz0yCmYOtXj

No comments:

Post a Comment