This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Juggling Just 10

Now that the kids and I are back in school making time for Just 10 with them is more important than ever. It's also a lot more difficult.

This evening I started to lecture them about how much of a mess the house is and how I need their help more than ever. As I sit here now, I feel a little foolish. Do I want my children to remember me as the mom who lectured them about housework or the mom who took time to sit with them and really listen to them every day?

Apparently, my memory is worse than I thought. So it's time for the index card reminder. This is what my card will say: Make time for Just 10 with each family member and myself every day. I plan on taping one on the mirror in our bathroom, one over the kitchen sink and one near the computer. The one on the computer is going to be the most critical. I can spend so much time doing a lot of nothing on the computer that I'm beginning to suspect that there might be an insidious and evil form of mind control at work. "Something wicked this way comes."

When I worked in the high school health room, more than one student lamented their parent(s) devotion to the computer and bemoaned the lack of face time they received from said parent. I listened and understood the behavior of all involved. After a day of work, there is something wonderfully compelling about the virtual world. We have the illusion of control. Real life constantly shows us how little control we have. Those of us with children know first hand that we can't really control our children. Guide, motivate, create consequences, and cajole but we can't control the independent spirit and power to choose that lies within our children. If I can control with whom I chat, what I view or which game I play, I can feel a little empowered if only in the virtual world.

The time I devote to controlling the mouse and cursor is not always time that is well used. It's too easy to get addicted to a substance or activity and miss out on living a real life. Now, if we could only develop games that helped us become better people, better parents, better partners, better employees and employers.

Maybe, the first step is deciding how to better utilize this tool, this computer and it's wonderful access to the world wide web in the service of a better life one with more fulfilling relationships. Limiting time spent away from my family seems the best place to start. Time to log off and make time for Just 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment