This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, September 20, 2010

Who Shall Lead Us?

The cold that my children have is now threatening me.  It wants to take up residence in my head.  Grumpy is barricading the door but the cold keeps on knocking.  In other words, I'm not in the best of moods.  That probably contributes to my developing the one-word theme for today.   That word is "frustration." 

As I struggle to discover what secret formulas will solve the major riddles of my new job, I have yet another concern.  Within the last three school days, I have heard several different teachers make some significant errors in what they are teaching the students.   While I don't expect teachers to never make mistakes, these errors are big enough to create a problem for students who will probably need the correct information in order to past the state-mandated tests.  Here are the errors:

1.  When adding a negative number to another negative number, you get a positive number as an answer. 

In multiplication two negatives make a positive.  Can't explain why, but in addition?  Even I, with a major case of crippling math anxiety knew this one was probably wrong.  I came home and researched the answer before listing it as a winner in this week's major error search.  It's a secret game I'm playing.  The secret has gotten too heavy to carry solo.  I come home and rant to my husband often while researching the correct answer.  After all, I want to have some proof  I'm not the only one thinking it's wrong.  The good news:  It's making me feel  passionate about my job.

2.  In the sentence:  Two brown ponies pranced playfully in the sunny meadow. Two is not an adjective.

The last thing I want to do is shake up the teacher.  They've got a lot on their plate.  I am full of sincerity here.  Still, this grammar faux pas took me by surprise.  I had the word, "two" pegged for an adjective and was really curious why it didn't qualify.  I couldn't help asking.  Teacher said, "No, "Two is some other kind of word."  I asked,  "What part of speech, is it?" He replied, "A modifier."  Intrigued, I innocently asked, "Is that a new category of some sort?"  (In retrospect, I see that this question could be interpreted very differently than I intended it.)    Teacher said, "Yes."

This "new" categories for English language parts of speech bothered me.  I went to the library and found a book on grammar.  A book published in 2001, if you're wondering.  In cases, like this, in which a number further describes a noun, the noun which it modifies, that word is an adjective.  By now, I'm starting to feel ready for Jeopardy!

3.  I was told that the word "I" is a noun.  It is not a noun.   It is a pronoun. 

Today, in at least one small classroom, it became a noun.  I asked,  "If "I" is to be considered a noun why not "me" in another sentence?"   Apparently,  the word "me" was not given noun status because it was a possessive pronoun.  I can't wrap my head around the logic but didn't pursue the point further.  I am not the teacher but I could be.    I've actually taken more college level course work in English, than those English majors who took education courses to earn teaching credentials.  I think that's a secret I best keep to myself, if I'm to get along with people.  All the education method courses in the world won't help prevent errors like these.

I am plagued with a dilemma.  I have to help my students finish homework and do assignments.  Sometimes, the teachers don't know the correct answer.  Sometimes, students are required to put down the wrong answer in order to "get it right."    Worse, yet, I really like these these teachers as people.  They bring a wonderful spirit, enthusiasm and often intelligent sarcasm (a "language that teens speak fluently) to their classrooms.  In many ways, these students are lucky to have them as teachers.  They can't be expected to teach what they don't know.  Who is in charge of the standards that safeguard the quality of the education the teachers are receiving?  Most of these teachers (the teachers in my sample are probably between the ages of 25 and 30) are products of the same educational system that they now help shape.  We've failed them.

I make mistakes every day.  I know there are some mistakes in this short entry.  Editors really don't get paid what they are worth.  You can still be a genius and not know every grammar rule, etc.  I really don't want to start casting stones at good people who've chosen to become teachers.  Teaching is another honorable profession that doesn't adequately compensate the brave men and women who dedicate their lives to help shape the minds of the future.  Therein lies the crux of the matter.  Teachers are shaping the minds of the future.  We need to care.  We need to pay attention. 

Now, if only, I knew what I need to do.  I could really use a Just 10 walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment