This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, September 14, 2010

To Build a Fire



Some days, it's hard to rub two words together long enough to start a fire.  I long for the warmth of a great idea. Today, I'd settle for just a good one.  Words often ignite easily.  This is not one of those days.

Even though, the flame of a good idea doesn't move me now, it seems very important not to abandon the craft.  I sit shaking the words off reluctant fingers.  Slowly they seep through the keyboard and onto the screen.  Being driven by words on fire is a great and wonderful thing but maybe writing in the cold is the better endeavor. 

I've often read that when a person finds their passion, time flies. They work almost effortlessly in a zone of almost magical productivity and absorption.  I believe in the existence of this zone.  At times, it has been the zone, I inhabit.   Yet, most of my life has been lived outside it.   Bludgeoning my peace of mind with the absence of the zone or passionate intensity in my life, I have often kept misery company.

This afternoon, I sat with  misery for a while.  Bemoaning the things that my life seems lacking.  I'm not able to spend my day doing what I love most, at least not at this time.  Misery was lousy company.    I couldn't sit with her long.  Instead, I looked around,  at the restless bodies and knew that most, if not all of them, would choose to be doing something else, somewhere else, if they could.    Thinking, outside myself, I understood that a good life requires that each of us spend time doing things we would rather not. Misery is not mandatory.  It is optional.

Over, the years, I've wasted a lot of valuable time complaining.  . Time crawls   I am stuck in the mud of unhappiness.  Now that I have children, it's painful obvious how complaining gets in the way of getting things done.  Complaining, self-induced misery, often takes more time and energy than the dreaded task.  I point this out to my children frequently.  They hold a mirror in which I see myself.  I don't always like what I see but I have learned much from my young complainers. 

So, tonight I write, when I would rather not.  Misery does not hold me hostage.  Instead writing when the fire doesn't burn is good practice, good discipline, and a good idea.  I can choose to dread it or I can give myself to the task.  Now, it is done.  The fire will burn another day.  Today, I kept moving to keep from freezing.  I have to keep moving in order to start the fire another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment