This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Thursday, April 14, 2011

Armchair Therapy Thursday

Disclaimer: Please, note:  I am not a therapist nor do I play one on TV.  I do, however, dispense therapeutic advice and diagnoses from the comfort of my scruffy brown recliner.  I call this practice: Armchair Therapy and am declaring today Armchair Therapy Thursday so that I may share some of my insights into the human mind.

I am an armchair therapist.  From this position I have dispensed my psychological wisdom (or is it pure hokum?)  Here are a few of my favorite armchair psychology pearls:

Celebrity Dissociative Disorder
Tiger-Man Syndrome
My Rocket is Bigger Than Your Rocket (a form of primitive cognitive distortion.)
Sandbox Thinking
Flushing One's Mind . . . or Changing the Channel
"You're-crappin'-on my-happy" (A form of proactive negative thought repellent.)
"What is wrong with them?" (Another strong defense mechanism and that let's you crawl into the heads of others while avoiding one's own.)
"I'm-better-than-that thinking"  (It's nice to feel less messed up than the reality TV stars.  I'm sure that why they continue to have a viewing audience.)

My list is a lengthy one.  Occasionally, instead of analyzing unsuspecting celebrities and strangers, I will use this Armchair Therapy in the service of my own psyche.  Yesterday, I created my own brand of "music therapy."  I was sufficiently impressed with the results of my own limited pseudo-clinical trial, that I share it here with you.

The sky was painted a battleship grey as a steady rain poured over my so-called spring.  I wore a leaden overcoat, anchored to earth by a pair of grey concrete overshoes.  Suddenly, a mood-lifting miracle poured out of my radio:  Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way."  Without a moment's hesitation, I crank up the volume and start moving to the music.  I shed my leaden overcoat and concrete overshoes and run naked into Happy Town.



I know why this song makes me happy.  It takes me back to 1977 or 78.  The world is a wonderful maze of highways and byways to the owner of a cute little 1972 Toyota Carina.  The Carina is on the right.

I loved this car like it was a sister.  It was my compact, economy love.  I could fill it with gas for less than $5.  It had an AM/FM radio and a wonderful little bin under the glove box.  I stocked it full of supplies for impromptu picnics.  Sure, the fan belt sometimes slipped and squealed and a sharp turn to the left could send a few of the wheel bearings howling but its flaws only added to its charm. 

Within my little capsule to freedom, I could take off and explore the world beyond our little town.  I'd crank up the radio loudly whenever a good song played.  When I hear Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way"  I'm skimming over the roads alone in my cute little car.  The windows are down.  The waves and dips in the county road I'm on make me feel like I'm flying.  My heart expands and takes the world in a warm embrace. Ah, the power of memory and a single song. 

There are a few other songs that put me back in this particular driver's seat and always lift my mood:

"Carry On Wayward Son" by Kansas
"Only the Good Die Young" by Billy Joel
"More than a Feelin"' by Boston
"Jesus, Is Just Alright" by the Doobie Brothers
"American Pie" by Don McLean
"Theme from Rocky" Bill Conti
"Fanfare for the Common Man" John Williams
Star Trek Movie Theme Music -- Jerry Goldsmith

My selections may be completely wrong for you but they are what make me feel happy.  If  a simple song is all that it takes, turn up the sound,  I'm ready.  "Do you hear that rain?  Crappy April?  Dark, foreboding skies?  Mortgage holders?  Sullen Teen Agers?  I've got the happy music in me.

Play it again, Fleetwood.  Turn up the tunes and get happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment