This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Month Without the Gods

 Yesterday, while reading, I stumbled across Japanese mythology's "month without the gods."  This phrase fascinated me and I wanted to learn more.

Here is what Wikipedia says:  "Kannazuki also Kaminazuki or Kaminashizuki) is a traditional name for the tenth month in the traditional Japanese calendar.
The name can be translated literally as "the month when there are no gods". In Shinto tradition it was said that the eight million gods of Japan left their shrines and congregated annually at Izumo Taisha. There the month was known as Kamiarizuki, "the month when the gods are present".

There is one god, Ebisu or Hiruko, who is the god of fishermen, good luck, workers and the health of children.   He is a happy fellow who was born disfigured or crippled due to his mother's transgressions during the marriage ritual.  Hiruko literally means "leech child".  He struggled to survive.  When he neared his third birthday and still couldn't stand, he was cast into the sea in a boat of reeds.  He was found ashore and well cared for by his new people.  Their care of him helped him survive many hardships.  He grew bones and was able to stand.  Although still crippled and slightly deaf, he was made the god, Ebisu on his third birthday.  Since he remained happy, he is called the mirthful god.  I love how he is happy even though rejected by his own mother.  I love how he misses the summons to leave earth because he is hard of hearing.  I love how he remains available during the "month without gods."

I've been trapped in my own "month without the gods."  I needed to be reminded that "gods/God still walks among us, just like one of us or maybe even "less than one of us."   I needed to be shown a way to triumph over my limitations and handicaps.  I needed to "grow bones" so that I can stand.  Thanks, Hiruko for limping into my day.

1 comment:

  1. What a great god to have in the pantheon! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete