This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Forest Before the Universe




The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness-- John Muir

The forest presses in.  I’m a droideka, a Star Wars droid, instrument of destruction, an enemy of the Republic.  I’m a well-armed,  evil, metallic potato bug.  I can roll my metal-insect self into a ball and cover ground quickly in a rapid dust-generating roll.  Unlike a potato bug, I’m well armed and have the benefit of a self-generating shield.  I am a most excellent monster. 

My son, plays along side me.  We wage a war.  The prize is universal domination.  If I could only be a droideka in real life.  I’d roll everywhere and over everything.  I’d howl at the moon with a metallic war cry and shake a thin metal leg at the gods that be.  “I am the vindicator.” is what I’d say if I could talk.

“Mom?” A small voice breaks through the battle in my head.
“You’re actually doing pretty well.  You’ve got one more kill than I do!”
He is surprised.  I haven’t been paying attention.
“Mom?” The voice asks.
“Yes?” I reply.
“Are you thinking about what you’re doing or are you just doing it?
Without hesitation, I reply, “Just doing it.”
“That’s the secret,” my son says.
“You’ve got to get out of your own way and not think too much.”

This was a profound statement.  My son has no idea just how profound it is.   He was only referring to the world of the game but what he said spilled into all my other worlds as well.  He resumed protecting the galaxy from an enemy is some other corner of the game universe.  I went back to Mr. Potato Bug and rolled toward my enemies with dizzying speed.

I stop and slowly unfold my metal body and take aim.  With a quick push of the “L” button, I’m surrounded by a shimmering force field that is capable of casting off blue lightening bolts when I’m hit by enemy fire.  When I die, I die in a blaze of glory but not before making a nice dent in my enemies numbers and fire power.    I am a most magnificent monster.  In the distance, through the forest, the Universe awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment