This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Slowing to the Speed of Life

This is my latest read.  The focus of this book fits perfectly within the focus of Just 10.   Since I typically approach life at full gallop, slowing down isn't easy for me.  I am convinced it's necessary and this book helped reinforce that idea.

It is co-written by Joseph Bailey and Richard Carlson.  Richard Carlson was the author of  Don't Sweat the Small Stuff books.  Carlson died suddenly at the age of 45 of a pulmonary embolism.   Awareness of his sudden death makes his words more meaningful.

While there are simply too many self-help books earning money off our own neurotic desires to "fix ourselves" there is an occasional book that makes sense.    Much of the book (if not all) can be downloaded for free at this site:http://www.scribd.com/doc/50267744/Slowing-Down-to-the-Speed-of-Life#page=27

There is a lot to digest.  The idea is a simple one.  The practice is not.  Yesterday, I did my best to slow down.  I was surprised by how much more I accomplished and with much less stress.  Today, I'm giving it another shot.  They say, "practice makes perfect." 

No comments:

Post a Comment