This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Shopping with St. Theresa and the Cheshire Cat

And, now for a break from confessional prose.  Once in a while I find myself writing poetry or at least that's what I call it.  I found this poem in an old notebook.  Once in a while I'll come across an old bookmark with a picture like this one of St. Theresa.  We used to earn these in Catholic grade school for giving the "right" answer to a question.  One day these two things collided.

Shopping with St. Theresa and the Cheshire Cat

A halo doesn't match anything I own
Sainthood is something I have denied myself.
It is too expensive.
Sack cloth and ashes are the clothing of the masses.
I shop off the rack.

A splinter of sunlight pierces my reflection
in the fitting room mirror.
St. Theresa and the Cheshire Cat have come looking for a bargain.
We try on each other's shoes.
We wear wide smiles.
For a moment, we shop in heaven.
We see ourselves in each other's eyes as we say our goodbyes.

I forfeit my Cheshire grin.
I am not worthy to wear it.
I hug the memory--- a thousand shards of broken glass
cut my soul to ribbons.
I weep bloody tears.  I am todays clearance special

No comments:

Post a Comment