This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Change Doesn't Come Easy

Despite the results and my awareness that this is a really good idea, taking time to give each person Just 10 minutes isn't easy. One of the hardest people to give 10 minutes to is myself. It's so easy to rationalize why "now is not the time." Wise, rational me says, "If not now, when?"

The other day, I decided to give myself 10 minutes while I was working in the kitchen. I justified the activity by believing that it was such a mundane chore that I didn't have to think about it and could let me mind wander freely in higher mental pastures. That was a good example of me in denial, an area in which I displace great skill.

So, right now, as soon as I finish typing, I'm setting a timer and giving myself 10 minutes in which I don't do anything else but focus on my breathing and listen to what my wise inner voice has to say to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment