This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Friday, February 26, 2010

Listening

Since I spend a lot of time in my own head, talking about myself and the landscape of my inner psyche comes easily. Listening, on the other hand, does not.

Just 10 gives me an opportunity to practice my listening skills. If we really spent more time listening to each other and really hearing people, the world would be a kinder, gentler place.

This week, the world wasn't kind or gentle. My human imperfections were a disappointment to some people but mostly to myself. Sometimes no matter how hard you try you're doomed to mess up. There is a lot of noise in my head filled with self-reproach. In my Just 10, I'm going to let the noise go and really listen to what the deepest and best part of me has to say. Under the smoke screen of my inner verbiage is a still, small voice waiting to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment