This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Experiment

My family doesn't know it yet but they are going to be participants in an experiment. I'm sure this experiment will change my world and possibly rock their own. It seems deceptively easy and yet, there has been a great resistance on my part to take action and begin. It came to me one morning in the shower. Ideas that come to me when I'm still half asleep are often worth considering. Since thinking that early is a rare thing.

Here's my plan: I will devote ten minutes of each day to giving each person in my home, unconditional positive regard. That means that for those ten minutes, I do not criticize, lecture, cajole, frown or think negative thoughts about them. My attention is focused completely on the individual by not multi-tasking but giving them my full- body attention. For ten minutes, I look at them with the utmost respect. I can only share genuine positive comments or observations and when they talk to me, I listen completely, without judgment but with an open heart.

To increase accountability and to share with others what seems like a simple idea long over due, I will give an accounting of the implementation of this project and the outcomes as it happens. The experiment begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment