This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Thursday, February 11, 2010

Just 10 for Me

Even though I haven't been as consistent with my Just 10 Minutes as I'd like to be, I have no doubts about having been inspired by the idea of devoting 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard to each of my loved ones every day.

We've been struggling so with our children(ages 9 and 11)trying to expand their chores and responsibilities around the house. Lately, their lack of follow through, their complaining and inattentiveness to details are been so frustrating. While I know they don't think like adults and some of this is part of being a child (or teenager), I think we do them a great disservice when we fail to encourage them to strive toward greater responsibility and self-direction. Someday, not so long from now, they will be flying on their own. A big part of my job as a parent is to help them learn how to fly and to help them soar as high as they can.

Since I am exposed to so many teenagers who lack so much in the responsibility department, I start to panic when my children begin to display the signs of irresponsibility I know all too well. It's so hard not to nag and complain but once that gets started it's an ugly snowball that picks up dirt and rocks as it careens down hill. It's too destructive to their spirits and mine too.

So making sure that I get my Just 10 Minutes with each child and my husband is very important in setting the right tone. Even more important, is taking Just 10 Minutes for myself. Without taking time to ground myself in the positive and narrow my focus toward guidance and encouragement, it's just too easy to start the destructive nagging syndrome, that ugly, scary snowball.

This isn't easy, especially when complaining is an almost automatic response for me. But just as I expect my children to change their habits for the better, I need to be willing to set the precedent by changing my own habits and lead by example. Waiting for the responsibility fairy to touch them with her magic wand while they sleep, is just not going to happen. Being a parent is often an exhausting and challenging job, so taking time to simply be and to rest in all the best in my life is so necessary. It's my launching pad (or airstrip) of hope. Here's to Just 10 minutes and the promise of flying high!

No comments:

Post a Comment