This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, June 14, 2010

12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know

This book caught my eye in the library.  I poured over it yesterday and found it very reassuring and interesting.  Apparently my Just 10 is really "right on."

Michele Borba sites a survey that was done by Nickelodion/Time of 1, 172 children ages six to fourteen in 25 U.S. cities.  Sixty percent of the children wanted to spend more time with their parents.  The children were clear on the quality of that time.

"Regardless of whether we're full-time or part-time working moms or stay-at-home moms, kids tell researchers that our interactions with them make them feel rushed and harried.  More than two in five kids feel that their time with us is rushed.  And, just as we'd expect, our kids rate us more positively if their time with us is less rushed and hurried [sic] and calmer.  In fact almost 90 percent of the kids who rate their time with their mom as very calm give them an A for making them feel important and loved compared to 63 percent of those who rate their time with mom as rushed." p. 35.

I don't know about you but I often operate in high gear.  Some times, I  rush my children, just as I often rush through life.   When I sit down for my kids' Just 10 time, I feel relaxed almost immediately.  Now, if I could make Just 10 time all the time.  Oh, it's time to sit with my son while we wait for the bus.  I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment