This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Gray Heron

I left the house for my Just 10 morning walk so deep in almost wordless thought that I had traveled a distance before I really realized where I was.  When I emerged from my revelry, I found myself starring across a pond at the silhouette of a single gray heron.

I was captivated by this gray bird, preening against a pond as smooth as glass, it's outline etched against an even grayer sky.  I remembered the air fight I'd seen between an eagle and an osprey near this same place the heron now stood.  Slowly, this open field, surrounded by a strip mall and a subdivision, is being developed.  My thoughts soon turned to the horror I feel at the oil gushing into the ocean.  I feel ill when I think of what this is doing to the sea life and all who depend upon it.

I found myself suddenly begging God for a miracle.  A miracle for me, a miracle for the earth.

I realized that I don't ask God for many things these days.  In the past, God's answer has often been a quiet "no."   Like a spoiled child, I have often behaved badly upon hearing this "no".  Over time, I've slowly begun to change how I interact with this being, I call God.  As much as I may disagree with the plan, I pray for strength, perseverance and acceptance.  I'm not in charge.  I need to leave the details and the outcome up to the Master.

For several moments this morning, I felt guilty about not praying more especially given the challenges in my life and the problems in the world.  As I walked, I realized that my prayers are less about asking for specific things or outcomes.  God isn't Santa.  Today, my prayers often transcend words.  When overwhelmed with worry, surrounded by love,  or touched by beauty,  I share those moments, those feelings with God and often find a wordless peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment