This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, June 7, 2010

I Hope You Dance



I'm an observer by nature.  It must come with the introvert package and a lot of the time I do enjoy it.  But not always.  Sometimes I'm just left with the feeling that I'm missing something.

This weekend, my husband and I actually had a date night.  A friend of my husband was playing with his band at the Moose Lodge and we went to hear them.  Out on the small dance floor was a cute assortment of seniors.  The youngest couple had to be in their sixties.  Suddenly, my husband asked me to dance.  I was speechless.  We have never danced together.  One of us has always been too self-conscious.  I was frozen.   Considering my "competition" on the dance floor, I knew I was being foolish.  The cute woman with her hair done up like Heidi the goat girl, actually walked with a cane.    I didn't want to just observe.  I wanted to dance but something held me back.   It was fear.

What was I afraid of?  What is the worst thing that could happen?  People would laugh at me?  I was enjoying watching the dancers but as far as any of them getting anywhere on Dancing with the Stars, well, that won't happen.  Frozen in my seat, watching old people dance, I felt like I was missing out on something.  Life was happening and I was just sitting there. 

My Just 10 assignment for the day is to look at all the areas of my life.  Where might fear be holding me back?   When I want to "get up and dance" what is keeping me?  How do I get beyond it? 

Soon, I'm going to get up and dance.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment