This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Elephant in the Room

Most of my shower thoughts are inspirations.  This mornings inspiration didn't feel good.  I actually hated it.  I realized that I have been ignoring the elephant in the room and that elephant is me.  I've managed to gain 30 lbs in less than a year.  The fact that I can use my stomach as a ledge finally pierced my consciousness at 6:51 a.m. this morning in the shower. 

So today's Just 10 is about accepting that as a reality on a deeper level.  I've given losing weight lip service but it hasn't really gotten through to my "control center."  The gateway to my control center was blasted open about 5:30 this a.m. when I woke up with an irregular and rapid heartbeat.  Now, I might have been dreaming about running from tigers, but I doubt it.  I think it was a wake up call.   

"Today is the first day of the rest of my life" is so cliche but it's also true.  It's time to lose weight.  I want to be healthier.  I want to fit into my small clothes, I want to feel better,and to move easier.  Most of all, I don't want cringe every time I see my reflection or photo of myself.

How to accomplish this?  I have the knowledge. What I've lacked is the will.  I'm dusting off my copy of  The Complete Beck Diet for Life.  I'm going to do the exercises, address the behaviors, focus on my successes, make good food choices and exercise.  I'm also going to be accountable, to myself, to my family and to you.  I'll use my personal Just 10 for an honest assessment and review.  I'd like to report feeling energized by my resolution but I just feel disgusted with myself.  Since feelings often drive me to the feed sack, I'm going to acknowledge them and not get stuck in the refrigerator.  Here I go.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Carol. It is certianly not easy. But it is worth it. I have exercised for 8 years. It makes me feel good, and good about myself.
    I wish you the best, and will follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete