This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Dark Lover

The darkness wraps itself around my car like a jealous lover as I creep across town on my morning commute. Arriving at my destination with no memory of the trip, I stumble out of the car and into my work day.   Briefly, consulting my mental calendar, I discover that it is only Tuesday.  My body feels the shock of this awareness.  I walk more slowly and with a slight limp.  Tuesday is heavy.  I struggle under her weight.   The darkness of the morning has  followed me.  It nips at my heels  I pretend it isn't there.  Surviving Tuesday depends on my little ruse.  The darkness dances before me, seductively. 
"Join me" it whispers.

My resistance weakens.  I want to lie with it in the parking lot and never cross the threshold into my day.  Longingly,  I peer into the eyes of darkness.  What I see there does not frighten me.  Its caresses me gently and for a moment, I am lost.  Driven by a cold wind, raindrops bring me back, slapping against my cheek. Mindlessly, my feet carry me forward out of habit.   As I dash between the drops of rain, I look to the horizon.  A band of light,swaddled in gray pushes against the darkness.   I see a familiar face and smile.  Day begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment