This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, October 18, 2010

A Flood of Words

Sometimes, an idea comes into my head and pushes everything else out.  Today, I drove home distracted by the force of an idea.  This idea insisted upon  materializing into  printed words.  I'm not really sure what it  means or why I think I have to write it.  It doesn't really matter.  I'm going to toss it out upon the page and then concern myself with the task of making dinner.

First, a little background. . . This past weekend, my youngest sister came to visit.  We discovered that we both share a weird phenomenon.  Each of us thought that "this must only happens to me".  Little did we know.  Often as we lay in bed, at the end of the day, waiting for sleep, we see a calidescope of human faces, heads, really, of people we have never met.  They appear and quickly fade into the next.  Sometimes their faces are contorted or grotesque.   Other times they wear peaceful or happy expressions.  I thought this sufficiently odd so I rarely spoke of it.  Over the years, I've gotten used to it.  It doesn't happen every night but when it does, I don't fight it or let it carry me into the land of raging madness.  I watch the show.  At times, I'm even amused by the odd theatre playing behind my closed eyes.  I no longer fight it.  I've learned to "go with it".

When my sister started to share this experience, I was tingling with excitement and completing the end of her sentences.  Now, I know one other person that shares this odd experience.  We are not alone and we'd never have found out if she hadn't shared this with me.  This desire to share some of the odd twists and turns in my own human experience is the motivation behind this blog.  I find it delightfully cathartic.

And so, when driving home today, the inspiration for an entry was flooding my head with such force, I was having a hard time paying attention to traffic.   I'm used to this flooding in my head.  Gradually, I am learning not to fight it.  On the battered bridge, between the mundane and the other worldly,  (If wordly was an actual word, I'd use it here.) I am a novice, still in training.   Learning how to a "build a boat and stay afloat" has been a life long task.  Today, I'm committed to whittling an oar or two.  Instead of resisting inspiration, I'm going to let it play through me just because I can.  Without further ado, I share today's "word flood".  In started with a simple line from a song. . ."the sun told me to run."


The sun told me to run and I've been running ever since.  Sometimes, at night the moon,  its round, bright face urges me to rest, to settle down, and  to stop running.  The beautiful moon tempts me but day always follows night.  The sun returns. She tells me to do what I have always done.  "Run" she says, "Run".  

As the sun and moon chase each other around the earth, so I chase myself.

STOP. .  My son just accidentally snorted nail polish remover up his nose.  A call to poison control helped ease both our minds.  I'm trying to use this as a lesson on "thinking before acting" which is a bit too common in this house.  Rosie at Poison Control had to ask if he was snorting on purpose.  I had to explain it was just an accident.  Apparently, acetone isn't the worst thing you can inhale.  Fresh air, a hot steamy cloth to breathe through and milk to drink were the recommendations.  Now that a son of a different spelling has gotten my attention, I quit for the day.    I did find a great link to a web site and an 800 number for Poison Control.  His regular doctor's clinic changed her phone number.  An annoyingly useless message gave a new number only once and very quickly.  Thank goodness for the following and Rosie:   http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/home/poison_control_center.html

No comments:

Post a Comment