This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, November 8, 2010

The Trance of Scarcity

Some thing I read recommended The Trance of Scarcity by Victoria Castle.  I got a copy from the library and then avoided reading it.  Maybe I was afraid that something within it would require me to change my way of thinking.  Finally, I opened it and began to read.  There is so much wisdom inside, I can't digest it all.

For some time, I've been very aware that mid-life was giving me an incredible opportunity to reframe my thinking, to really question what works and what does not.   The Trace of Scarcity is giving me a lot to think about.  I share a piece of it here:
"Every day we are offered increasingly sophisticated strategies for surviving in a world of scarcity.  No one questions whether scarcity exists.  All such survival strategies share the same starting point:  They accept scarcity (lack of self-worth and lack of resources) as a fact of life, as the only proper orientation in response to the evidence.  But what if the truth were actually the other way around? What if our default way of thinking--maintaining the idea that scarcity is real--is the source of the conditions producing the "evidence"? Which one's the chicken and which one's the egg?
 Many years ago, Albert Einstein pointed to the limitations of the mind, saying that we can't seek to solve problems within the same mindset that created them.  To defeat this way of seeking we must become a little bit radical and impertinent.  I say radical because we try to crack an illusion, our denial often intensifies in order to protect our familiar reality" (Castle 25-26).
Since I'm already a bit radical and impertinent, I'm one step ahead of the game.  

No comments:

Post a Comment