This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, March 22, 2010

Learning to be Simple

I think that one of the reason's Just 10 is a good idea is that it's a simple idea.  Making life complicated is something that I do well.  Often that complexity clouds the issue and it's hard to find the way.  It's also easier to give up.  During one of my Just 10's this weekend, I realized that I've made the struggle with my weight a complicated issue.

It's really not.  I simple consume too many calories and am not burning enough.  Decreasing intake and increasing activity is a simple concept.  I've been using all the psychological reasons why I eat as an excuse not to do what needs to be done.

So I'm making losing weight as simple as I can and I'm providing a simple motivator.  It's so simple I'm embarrassed to admit what it is but here goes.  If I can get though an evening without snacking, I earn one quarter in my "Good Choice Jar" .  If I exercise I earn 1 quarter.  At the end of the month I have the potential of having earned about $15.  While that is certainly not a fortune and won't motivate many, it does motivate me.  It will be money for one of my favorite thrifty haunts, the Goodwill Outlet where junk and treasure hopelessly intertwine and await discovery.

After years of making losing weight ridiculously complicated, it's time to simplify.  Simplifying doesn't mean that it will be easy but it does make it clear what needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment