This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, March 15, 2010

Missing an Opportunity

This last week my son approached me about having his Just 10.  I got busy and failed to carve out the time so he came to me.  Apparently, it means that much to him.

I also missed an opportunity to give my husband his time this last Friday.  Friday has become our "date night".  I was overbooked and overly tired and the first thing to go was our date.  I didn't intend to send the message that my husband isn't important but that is just what I did.

Fortunately, it wasn't hard to tell that my husband was feeling neglected and disappointed.  Also fortunate was the fact that I could talk about it  and could acknowledge that I had made a mistake.  I'd missed the opportunity to devote some time and my attention to people that I love.  The side effects of that missed opportunity were painfully obvious to me.

Even though, I knew this was a good idea when I started it, I don't think I've even begun to experience just how good an idea this is.  I can already see a change in the members of my family and I feel a big chance in myself.   We're beginning to experience each other in very different and positive ways.  We're forging deeper and more genuine connections and it all started with Just 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment