This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Thursday, March 11, 2010

Love One Another. . . You've Got To Be Kidding

Lately, a lot of the people in my world haven't been showing their good side and that includes me.  I realized in my Just 10 yesterday that I just want to be loved.  I think this is what most people want but we have really odd ways of showing it.  We get defensive, we manipulate, we take our anger and frustration out on others, often the ones we profess to love the most.

Keeping our senses of self strong and healthy is a big challenge.  There is always someone out there who doesn't like us, talks behind our back, judges us and finds us lacking.  Much of the time, we're busy treating others the same way.

I used to think my mother and grandmother hopelessly simple minded when they said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all."  Neither of them was always successful at applying this maxim but I understand  how helpful it is to me now.  It's all about focus.  If I look for the negative, the chink in the armor, the weakness, I'll find it and in doing so I'll miss the good things that are also there.  There is no denying the negative.  I'm choosing not to let it ruin my day or my life.

Focusing on the positive will make my life easier.   Painful as it may be, not everyone is going to like me and I'm certainly not going to like everyone.  I'll always seek to be loved and I will often fail. Changing my thinking is an important way of showing myself the love and respect I deserve.    I'd like to think that by loving myself enough to get off the negative pathways I like to often travel, I'm becoming a better person.

If I can go to sleep at night knowing that I've learned something new about myself and my place in the world that day, it's been a good day.  So during my future Just 10 minutes,  I'm going to review the day before and find at least one positive thing that I learned that day as a result of something that at the time was unpleasant.  I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment