This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, August 8, 2011

Better World Shopping

Miscellaneous Monday

My birthday is coming up.  I'm not going to write about how much I dislike getting older, although it is true.  I'm not going to write about what I want for my birthday because for the most part I have what I need.  Yes, I understand the irony in that statement but am going to simply let it stand.

I did buy myself a birthday present and then told my family that this is what they got me.  I've wanted a copy of this for a long time.  It's surprising how good I feel about putting into practice something that really matters to me.

The web site: Better world Shopper.org  lists five different social values that are considered in the rating system used by Ellis Jones.  They are:

5 key.issues

HUMAN RIGHTS: sweatshops, 3rd world community exploitation, international health issues, divestment, child labor, code of conduct.

THE ENVIRONMENT: global warming, rainforest destruction, pollution, recycling, renewable energy, greenwashing, toxic waste, eco-innovations, illegal dumping, sustainable farming.

ANIMAL PROTECTION:
factory farming, animal testing, humane treatment, wild animal habitat.

COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: family farms, local business support, volunteer efforts, sustainable growth, philanthropic donations, nonprofit alliances, establishing foundations.
SOCIAL JUSTICE : fair wages, fatalities, union busting efforts, health & safety records,
discrimination based on: race, gender, age, ability, religion, sexuality, ethnicity.

I  love my little birthday present. 

Now, if only more of us put our money where our values are, we could change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment