This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday Drive



Keeping to the Soothing Sunday Theme, we went for a mini-Sunday drive.  It wasn't like the drives of my childhood when gasoline cost less than $.60 a gallon.  We'd drive for hours and explore countless little towns and parks.  Today's drive was very different.   As much as I enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the late summer weather, I was all too aware that I was burning precious money right along with fossil fuels.

Sometimes, I miss my ignorance.

Ignorant no longer, we drove less than an extra five miles.  We took in as much scenery as we could.  We pointed at houses we wished we had and agreed that we'd like to live in the country but still be very close to a larger city.  Our dreams are so much more expansive than our lives.  In our dreams, we have options.  Anything is possible.  Nurturing the capacity to dream is very important.  So is working toward them.

Our mini-drive ended quickly.  On the way home we made up crazy get-rich-quick ideas. Maybe one of them might pay off and we can afford a beautiful place in a country.

Today's List of Ideas


1.)  A rock that has painted on it the words "of ages".

(It appeals to the older Christian crowd. "Rock of Ages"  Yes, I can hear the collective sigh!  Hey, if the Clapper, the Bullet and Pet Rocks can sell why not this?  Especially, if advertised on Sunday Morning during with all the preacher shows.)

2.)  An small electric, thrift-store lamp with a card that reads,

"Comes with Invisible Genie.  Rub and Wish."

3.)  A slightly-used, live Christmas elf in a cage with 6 interchangeable outfits.
(Picture not actual size.  Accessories sold separately.)  This idea was my daughters.  She giggled all the way home after coming up with it.

(I didn't say they were good ideas did I?)

4.)  One slightly-used squirrel.

5.)  Invisible House Fairy.  It/her/him bestows blessing on whomever possesses it/her/him.    This one is my personal favorites.   I blamed a lot of things on an invisible House Fairy when the kids were small.  I also gave the House Fairy the job of watching over the kids.  It/He/She was very dual purpose and more like the very flawed gods and goddesses of Greek Mythology.
  
 My Invisible House Fairy comes complete with invisible condo and invisible interchangeable wardrobe.  (We've very fond of interchangeable wardrobes today.)
Other Invisible House Fairy action figures sold separately.

We squeezed a lot of fun out of a mini-Sunday drive despite my guilt over burning up precious resources.

On the way, home both children spontaneously said, "I love you, Mom."

Those words are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment