This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Can

Wordy Wednesday

The first word I wanted to feature was: Antidisestablishmentarianism. 

(I'd skip over the explanation if I were you.)

Wikipedia says the word means:  (listen to British sample , American sample ) is a political position that originated in 19th-century Britain in opposition to proposals for the disestablishment of the Church of England, that is, to remove the Anglican Church's status as the state church of England, Ireland, and Wales.

The establishment was maintained in England, but in Ireland the Church of Ireland (Anglican) was disestablished in 1871. In Wales, four Church of England dioceses were disestablished in 1920, subsequently becoming the Church in Wales.
The question of disestablishment of the Church of England is still current, often tied with the position of the English monarch as "Supreme Governor" of the Church (see Act of Settlement 1701). Those who wish to continue the establishment of the Church of England are referred to as Antidisestablishmentarians.[1]




The only fun thing about this word is it's length and the fact that cutting and pasting the definition has changed my text into superscript.  Curses on you, Blogger!

The word for today is actually two words,  two short, sweet words:  I can.

I didn't start out saying them this morning.  On my Just 10 walk, I came to a curve in the trail and wanted nothing more than to sit down on the asphalt and await rescue.  This time my body was screaming, "Enough,  I don't want to go any further."

Fortunately, my spirit said two short, sweet words, "You, can!"  (Don't let the change of the pronoun or the font size fool you.  Just internalize it and make it your own.  You can transform it.)

Of course, me being me, I wanted to argue.  I started making a list of all the things I can't do. 

I can't do gymnastics.
I can't be 5' 11 and have blue eyes.
I can't walk on the moon.
I can't sing on key.
I can't possess a super power or a even a super cape.
I can't have a jet pack.  (The jet pack that flies over water and uses water to hover just isn't the same.)
I can't be the Queen of England.  (They've already got one and I'm not British.)

After playing with my silly list for a few minutes, I started to make a list of what I can do.  (I like this list much better even if it isn't as funny.)

I can reach the intersection and walk all the way back home.
I can breathe deeply and enjoy this morning walk, (in spite of the dead mouse and dog poop on the trail this morning.)
I can focus on what I have and not on what I don't.
I can say I love you to the people I love.
I can take time to listen to them, to just be with them and I can let myself enjoy them.

Today, instead of thinking about what you can't do or can't have, take time to find out what you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment