This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, July 11, 2011

Wild Monday

Image source:  http://mi9.com/skeleton-wallpaper-3d-skeleton-wallpaper-walking-skeleton_29347.html

On my Just 10 morning walk, I looked for a topic for Miscellaneous Monday.  As I stepped off the yards and miles, I became very interested in identifying the flora in the landscape.  When the walking trail first opened, the sides were planted with many native bushes and trees.  At first, it was carefully tended but over time, the wild has stepped in.   Now almost ten years later, the landscape is a profusion of growth, weeds grow among the planted bushes.  At first, I thought about how neglected the trail side had become but I couldn't help but enjoy some of the pretty weeds and wild flowers.  It was time to strip to the bone and acknowledge the wild side.

Queen Anne's Lace danced in a gentle breeze.  Clover awaited bumbling bees.  Tansy Ragwort, a bane to bovines everywhere, sported smart, mustard-yellow flower clusters.  Salmon berries were heavy with fruit.  Oregon grape has begun coloring some of its leaves with a brilliant fire red.  Wild roses have faded, their long arching branches are now heavy with rose hips.  The world around me was tame and wild.  Both seemed to belong together.

The fact that I could name many of the plants before me, pleased me.  Life has not left me completely unprepared.   I knew that Queen Anne's Lace is wild carrot and edible as are the salmon berries.  I know that the dandelions with sharp-pointed leaves can be used as salad greens.  I knew I could eat clover.  I knew that even the stinging nettle can be tamed and made into greens or brewed as tea.   If  I'm every lost in the woods, I will not starve.

The fact that there were plants I could not name also pleased me.  There is much to learn.   There will always be something new.

Suddenly, I found myself very aware of the "feelings" of the people I meet on the trail.  Their bodies and movements shout at me as we pass each other.  Their moods and feelings are no secret.  In those moments, I discover how much I have shut out.  I have spent most of my life tuning out the "wildness" of the world because it felt overwhelming.  I've tried to keep my life, a well-manicured flower bed but the wilderness has always been waiting to come in.  The line between myself and others, between myself and the world seemed such a strong one.  It hasn't been.  We've always belonged together.  We've been walking side by side. Wild is everywhere.


Wild is full of passion.  It's where the zest for life has been hiding.  It's the source of great art.  It sings the music of the soul.  Welcome, Wild Monday, it's time we got to know each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment