This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Thursday, July 28, 2011

Trying Not to Think

Always do what you are afraid to do. --- Emerson


I spent all day trying to run from myself.  It was Thinking Thursday and I was afraid of my own thoughts.  Wordy Wednesday evening found me verbally assaulting a loved one.  Words are not always good tools.   Obviously something was bothering me and I was doing my best to dump the problem on someone else.

As I spent the day avoiding the soul searching I was sure I needed, the truth came to me anyway.  I saw that I had projected my own fears and I knew why.  I was afraid of change.  I was afraid of action.  I was afraid of trying something new.  I wanted to follow my dreams.  I was now in uncharted territory and I was terrified.

How I got to this place, this age in life, without really following them is a bit of a wonder to me.  I've done a really good job ignoring them for years.  When I was younger, I tried to adopt the dreams of the significant others in my life.   I didn't feel good enough to have dreams of my own much less go after them.

Now, at mid-life, time ticks like a bomb.   Over half my life is over.  I can not afford to waste any moment that is left and this reality weighs heavily.  Sometimes, it's so heavy I feel panic. As I grapple with this fear, with this panic, with unfulfilled dreams and desires, a few simple words of Emerson fall into my day.  "Always do what you're afraid to do." 
"Yes, Mr. Emerson!" I reply as I contemplate the leap.  Terror grips me.  I've never felt more alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment