This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday or Sinday?

Soothing Sunday

When I started typing Sunday, it came out "sinday".  What a difference one little letter can make.  I look down.  Two of the buttons on my blouse have come undone.  Looks like I've been getting into the spirit of "sinday"  It's a good thing I'm just sitting at the computer.

The idea of sinday is making me smile.  If I could have a day to do anything I wanted, what would it be?  Would there be any sinning involved if all consequences of such actions were wiped away?  If there is "no piper to pay" would I choose to do anything differently than I am right this instant?

Of all the seven deadly sins, the one that grasps my soul the most tightly is gluttony, or is it?  I decide to check out the "magnificient seven" and discover that there is a web site devoted to them.  http://www.deadlysins.com/sins/index.htm.

Here's what the site says about gluttony.
Gluttony

Sinopsis (sic)
What it is: Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.
Why you do it: Because you were weaned improperly as an infant.
Your punishment in Hell will be: You'll be force-fed rats, toads, and snakes.
Associated symbols & suchlike: Gluttony is linked with the pig and the color orange.

My punishment in Hell is starting to scare me.  I'd better pick another sin to indulge on sinday.

Anger, will see me dismembered alive in Hell.  (Since I assume that I've had to die to go to hell, this might be difficult to pull off.)

For envy, I'll be put in freezing water.  (This too would be difficult since Hell is supposed to be full of the flames of eternal perdition.  How would you keep things cold?

For pride, I'll be broken on the wheel.  Not exactly sure what this form of torture is but I'm betting I'm not going to like it.

Let's tackle the juiciest of the seven deadly sins, lust.  This will result in my being smothered by fire and brimstone, not kisses.  This seems to undermine the freezing water hypothesis even further.  Who is in charge of this place any way?

Let me try greed.  Ah, greed will result in being boiled alive in oil.  Once again I face the dilemma of being alive after I'm dead.

Finally, I've got to look at the reward in Hell for the sin of sloth.  That will find me thrown into a pit of snakes.  I bet they picked snakes because it starts with the same letter as sloth.  Snakes are also pretty creepy and sometimes associated with the devil but I'm not exactly sure of the arbitrator of this system of supernatural justice.   The theology seems a little iffy. 

There is a gallery of images and several pages listed here and the warning: "Please drop me a line before ripping anything off. Email seven at deadlysins dot com."

I'm not going to rip off anything.  The site and the author of the site is getting all the credit he deserves.  Do you think his name is really, Seven?  I wonder if the number, Three is taken. 

After reading this list of possibilities, I'd like to align my aura with the idea of trinity, trifecta, tribunal, triple and triple sec.  I'm no longer interested in exploring sinday or even the idea of sinning on this soothing Sunday.  A little bit of reading has me scared straight, well at least for the next few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment