This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Friday, July 1, 2011

If Only . . .



 This was posted in the comments beneath this video on YouTube.com:

This great song was written about a Landlord who Continually Gave free Beer to the Poor and Needy In his Village.
He was asked by the Local Police to Stop his Kindness because the Excess beer was causing a Crimewave.
The local People had Unwittingly become Alcoholics and Needed to feed their Need so they Broke Into the Landlords Tavern and Stole his Beer.
On one Occasion desperation Forced the Police to Lock Up the Landlord and he was heard Crying" Why do you Hate me I Gave You Ale"
 
Just heard this line from a Mumford and Sons song "I gave you all"

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won."

On this Free Friday, it rings true.  I've been trapped by all that I have not, all that I am not.  I have failed to see what I am and what I already have.  Since Free Friday's are all about liberation it's time to set myself free.

The only way to survive this crisis is to accept it.   I have been a bird trapped inside, bashing myself against a plate glass window.  The world always just beyond my reach.   Something transparent separates me from my life.  I am this transparent thing.    It's time I dissolve the illusion that prevents me from crossing the barrier.

Last night I had a crazy dream.  I was traveling the country with a group of seven assorted misfits in an old motor home.  One misfit appointed himself the leader.  He christened himself, "Captain.".  We accepted his leadership without question until he became unjust.  The remaining six took control of the motor home.  We opened up all the drapes and windows.  We made a pact that we were in this together and that we would help each other and discuss all decisions before acting.  I drove out of a dusty motel parking lot watching the Captain flail his arms and scream obscenities at  us.  I was afraid of driving this motor home but knew that with practice I would learn how.  I felt sad yet also free.  This freedom was so exhilarating that going back was not an option.

During my waking life, I curse the options that hover around me.  None of them seem desirable.  While there are many things I can't control, I've allowed those same things to control me.  They have clipped my wings.  I have forgotten that I know how to fly.  Friday dawned and freed me this bright summer morning.  I am free.

No comments:

Post a Comment