This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Just 10 Laws of Cookie Preparation.

This morning, I wrote out an action plan for the day.  After spending Just 10 with each family member my next priority is to make Snickerdoodle cookies.  Nothing profound or urgent here.  I haven't made Snickerdoodles since I was in grade school.  Baking is relaxing and one of my creative outlets for relieving stress.

I love that baking involves collecting a bunch of compounds, mixing them in certain ways and letting them develop in the heat of an oven.  The compounds work together to become something greater than any of its' individual parts.

Controlling the ingredients, the temperature of the oven provides me with a sense of control, yet, I can't control exactly how the parts will interact with each other.  That's up to the scientific laws that govern matter and occasionally a touch of luck.  The goal is to create something delicious or at the very least, edible.

As I've become a more experienced baker, I've learned that I can alter the recipe, change or substitute ingredients or alter the time or temperature to achieve a different result.  Still, the natural laws must be obeyed. I provide the right conditions.  Nature does the rest.  Baking contains an element beyond the baker's control, that which can not be altered, that which simply is.    I can't make candy without sugar.  Too much salt ruins everything and sometimes so does too little.  Yeast needs to be kept alive to work.   Vanilla matters.

Maybe baking Snickerdoodles is more profound than I thought.  Maybe I need to apply the baking metaphor to my life.  There are some things I can change, alter or substitute as I try to create a "delicious" life.  There are some natural laws that must be accepted.

1.) Experience is a guide.  Rely on it.
2.) When things don't turn out, try again.  Something delicious is waiting to be made.
3.) Life is better with cookies.
4.) Moderation and balance in all ingredients, makes the best end product.
5.) Sometimes you have to break a few eggs.
6.) Creating is often messy.  Clean up after yourself.
7.) Baking takes time.  Patience matters.
8.) Sharing with others makes everything taste better.
9.) Be creative with the ingredients.  It so much more interesting.
10.) Love really is the secret ingredient.

This afternoon is cookie time.  It's an important part of my day.

Here's the link to the Snickerdoodle recipe:  
     http://carolscookbook.blogspot.com/
    

No comments:

Post a Comment