This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Project Inspire

Projects are a passion of mine.  I usually have at least 5 or 6 going at one time, some tiny, some big.  It's no wonder I love Jeffrey Yamaguchi's http://52projects.com/(You can find the the original 52 projects heading in a side bar on the right, if you're interested in how it began.)

Yamaguchi is also the author of 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity.

Here's the link to the book on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/52-Projects-Everyday-Creativity-Perigee/dp/B000FKP9WY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274903310&sr=8-1

Early in the book, the author lists the benefits of projects.  Many of these benefits apply to my own Just 10 project.  I'm listing many of these reasons below just as stated in his book.  The comments in parentheses are all me.

1.)  Projects are a major source of energy.  (i.e. projects energize.  Just thinking about Just 10 gets me "jazzed.")

2.)  Projects can make you feel better about yourself.  (Knowing that I've given my family quality time feels good.)

3)  Projects can make your close friends and family feel special(Yes!)

4.)  Just like the projects of others inspire you, your projects inspire others.  (I am so committed to the Just 10 project that I'm willing to expose myself to others in hopes that once in a while someone can find a crumb of inspiration.)

5.)  Projects help you overcome the fear of failure(I've failed so many times over the years that it has gotten a lot easier to fail.)

6.)  Projects help you deal with insecurity.  (The Just 10 project makes me feel like a more capable person and parent.)

7.)  Projects lead to self discovery.  (Wow, this says so much.)

8.)  Projects enhance your skills and talents.  (I'm better than I was yesterday and look forward to being even better tomorrow.)

9.)  Projects give you a sense of accomplishment.  (Completing one feels great.)

10.)  Projects help you come up with even more project ideas.  (I'm mentally working on something I call the Smile Project.  Stay tuned.)

My big and small projects give me purpose and a sense of worth especially at those times when life is challenging and my soul is weary.  They ground me in what I believe to be most important, the simple work of my hands, using time wisely, learning new skills, having fun or showing my love for the people in my life.

The Just 10 project restores my soul.  At the end of the day, when I've taken time to really be with those special people in my life and have given them the gift of unconditional positive regard, I am filled with a sense of peace and accomplishment.  This is a peace I wish for others.  Try Just 10 at home.  I'm sure it will be one of the best times of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment