This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Friday, May 28, 2010

Keeping It Simple

During my Just 10 today, I couldn't wait to think about this and then write about it.    I keep running into the fact that often I make life a lot more complicated than it is.  When I relax life gets easier.  Things flow more smoothly. What's outside of my control becomes evident and less troublesome.  I remember to breathe and pace myself.  Things that seem hard become less so.  It's as if my psyche has taken a radical shift and entered another world.    I'm sure some people have already figured this out, people like Buddha, Jesus, the Dali Lama, and maybe my dear friend, Sheila.  For me, this is a relatively recent discovery.

Playing Super Mario, I've tried so hard to keep my character, Luigi, alive which usually resulted in my certain death or at least bubble entrapment.   When I relaxed and didn't try so hard, I found myself bouncing along, avoiding danger, conquering my enemies, gaining the flying helmet, obtaining the ice flower.   During these successful phases, I wasn't consciously trying I was just being, forgetting about myself and what I should or shouldn't do.  I was just going with the game.

I couldn't ignore the parallels to my real life.   When I'm trying too hard, the problems that arise are unwelcome enemies.  When I relax, problems are easier to handle.  Occasionally, they open new doors.   They are less unwelcome enemies and more helpful guides on this journey.  The serious problems still get my attention, but the little ones. .  .when I'm in my "zen"- frame-of-mind, I just skip right over them and go on my  way.  The game of life becomes a lot more fun and a lot easier.  Those big problems become part of the game.  Unavoidable, normal, I don't blame myself.   If I contributed to the problem, then it's important to learn what to do differently the next time and I promise you there will be a next time.  My strategy is to figure out how to solve it, get past it, climb over it, learn to love it, or if I can't love it, to simply accept it. 

When I was younger, I had the false notion that problems reflected by own imperfections or failures.  If I was smart enough or good enough, my life should be problem free.  (Note the word, should.  It indicates a big problem.)  Life was a game of Russian Roulette and I was forced to play it by all the "shoulds" that were crushing me.  I was not having a good time.  I was afraid of almost everything and every one.

Life is more like this silly Mario game.    There are levels.  Sometimes you get through a lot of levels and other days you're stuck in the same one.  Practice makes it easier to play well.  There is a beginning, middle and end.   If you don't start, you won't get anywhere.   There are obstacles and other entities causing trouble.  These are things you try and avoid.   There are a few "people" that actually help you and make you stronger.  Sometimes you get to fly.  Sometimes you get trapped in a bubble and wait for rescue by another.  Eventually, you die and that game is over, but just for you.  The others keep going until they finally die. 

If life is a game, I'm going to chose the one that is most fun.  Learning to accept what is and still have a good time can only be achieved, if I learn to relax and just go with it.    When I relax, those countless "must-dos" during a normal day become easier.  I spend less time complaining about them and more time just doing them. And, that gives me more time to do what I enjoy, like Just 10's or writing blogs and talking to you.   In that relaxed state, what is painful is easier to handle.  It doesn't hurt as much.  It doesn't ruin my day.  Who would have thought that playing a simple video game with my son could teach me so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment