This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Monday, May 17, 2010

A Fork in the Road



As I walked to work this morning, I spent my private Just 10 in the comfort of my own mind.  Suddenly, I stumbled upon a fork in the road, not just any fork, a real fork, wonderfully bent and scratched.  Frozen for a second, I stared at the fork.  I tried to go on, but could not.  I had to have this fork.

I love the unexpected and decided that I had to take this new found treasure home.   This unexpected, bent, scratched fork that can no longer function as silverware will become the center piece for a mobile, a mobile I'll make out of the junk that I happen upon.   This fork will become something other than what it was.  It will become something better. 

I also love the irony of this "fork in the road."  It truly was in the street.  I love the serendipity of the find.  Forks don't move themselves.  I love the mystery.  What story does this fork have?  Was it the focus of someone's breakfast rage?  Had someone used this fork to stab at the unjust universe and hurled it heavenward only to have it return to earth to be crushed and found by me?

Maybe, and most likely, it was simply dropped or forgotten, the owner completely unaware of its loss.  This scenario makes it the most valuable to me.  Forgotten, bent, seemingly useless junk, it is to me, a rare find, an odd little treasure, this dear fork of mine.

This fork gave me hope during my Just 10.  Pondering the mystery of the fork helped me remember that perspective really is everything.  I can see the circumstances and challenges of my life as crappy fate, horrible luck, as evidence of personal failure and on and on.  Or, I can accept what is and find opportunities in trials and hope in the unexpected.  I can enjoy those moments when forks await discovery.  I can see the hard and often cruel world with fresh eyes.  I can use what lies discarded and begin again.

My little fork brought magic to my day.  I can't wait to see what I'll find next.

The dear Mermaids at http://www.mermaidsofthelake.typepad.com/ have listed my humble blogs in their links under Dive Into Inspiration.  Thanks!

1 comment: