This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Saturday, May 15, 2010

Move It

The Just 10 project has really helped me focus my attention on the things that I value most.  All the words in the world mean nothing without action.  My private Just 10s help me decide what actions to take as I strive to live a more genuine and authentic life. Taking time for Just 10 with my family members helps me to keep their needs in mind as well.

This morning I jotted down my action plan for the day and then organized the troops.  First, we were getting some exercise by walking around the neighborhood.  Then, we would collectively, scrub the kitchen floor and then break for our individual pursuits.  Sometimes, as a mom, you have to be a bit like a drill sergeant.  It's the best way to get the unpleasant jobs done. . .that and the promise of leave when the task is completed.  Oh, and the promise of a dime or two in the Good Choice Jar(See sidebar on the left of this blog, entitled Good Choice Jar for more information.)   Yes, the Sarge is sometimes a softy but the lure of a dime is just good behavioral conditioning when working with new recruits.

Young Mr. A. wasn't too happy to be on work detail.  He didn't enlist.  He was drafted.  The Sarge used positive psychology to keep him moving.  She also used it on herself.  The Sarge likes a clean house but she doesn't always like the work that gets it clean.   Sometimes, you just have to buckle down and take action.  You have to harness the power of  just moving it as a means to an end.

Many mornings, I don't feel like getting out of bed.  Once I do, I rarely regret it.   There are days when I don't feel like giving any one Just 10 but when I remember why I'm doing this and to get in the right mind frame, I am so grateful that I made the time.  The time for action is at hand.  Move it.

No comments:

Post a Comment