This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Friday, April 23, 2010

Sick as a Dog

Yesterday, our little mini-dachshund, Ruby, hadn't had anything to eat or drink for 24 hours.  Since she weighs less than 10 lbs.  I knew we had to get some fluids in her.  It was after hours so I called around and found an emergency animal clinic that was open evenings.  It costs $90 just to be seen.  Any treatment or medicine would be extra.  We don't have $90.  So I began a search for options as a low-income pet owner. 

There is this lovely thing called "Care Credit" with an interest rate around 25%.  Of course, I didn't qualify.  Twenty-five percent interest sounds like usury to me but apparently it's legal.  There are funds for low-income pet owners through Dove Lewis but there has been such a big demand that there are no funds left.  The voice at the end of their phone was kind but none of the referrals he gave me were helpful.

I accidentally called the clinic that started my search  as I tried to explore my options.  When I expressed my disappointment at bothering them again, the voice at the end of the phone said, "Yeah, Why are you calling me back?  What do you expect me to do?  It costs a lot of money to run an animal clinic."  This was not the voice of understanding and compassion.  I was very angry and said, "Well, we'll just have to watch her suffer." and hung up the phone.   Rich or poor, I'll never go to that clinic.  I do understand that things cost money, more than she could apparently comprehend.  I wasn't asking for a handout.  I was hoping for options and compassion.

Earlier, I'd been advised against trying "force" water in her but we had to try.   My husband and I filled a dropper and held it to her mouth.  She licked eagerly.  We made her some of her favorite food, scrambled eggs, and she ate it and then drank more.  Today, she is doing so much better.  If Ruby weren't doing better, we would have to watch her suffer.   I can't help but wonder how many other pet owners have found themselves in the same position.  How many people with no health insurance and no money go without treatment?  How many wait until it's too late?  How many low-income people have been on the receiving end of a callous voice at the end of the telephone?  How many people really know from personal experience how much money it takes to survive?   (Surviving isn't thriving by the way.  I'm talking just getting by.)

During my Just 10 today, I realized that I'm in a position to give a voice to people struggling with poverty.   As long as profit is more important than the welfare of people (and animals in my book), there is work to do.

In addition to giving my family their Just 10, I want to spend at least Just 10 a day, giving a voice to the poor.   I may have no control over so much of what has happened in the last few years but I can control what actions I take and the choices I make however limited they might be.  I have so much good company.  Alone, I'm just a tiny voice in a huge storm but if we start joining our small voices, the world will have to hear.

I've got a few politicians to write and an adorable little dog that is asking for a biscuit.

1 comment:

  1. Carol, I am sorry you had to go through this with little Ruby but happy to hear she is doing better. I experienced this lack of compassion the night of the fire. I lost everything except Jasmin kitty. The firemen rescued her and the paramedics transported her to Dove Lewis (with no charge to me, I might add). But Dove Lewis refused to treat her until I could guarantee payment of $1500. Here I was, homeless and without anything and they would not work out any sort of plan with me. I had to get that credit card you talked about - that one with 25% interest plus a loan from Maria. I didn't even know at the time what my insurance settlement would be. It was highway robbery if you ask me! They pressured me to put her through tests that would have been covered by her insurance plan the very next day. I was in shock and unable to think clearly. It was well after midnight; my kitty was in bad shape and all they cared about was my ability to pay. I left the animal hospital at 2 AM and was told if I did not pick her up by 7AM I would be charged a lot more money as they are closed during the day. They were without compassion for my sweet girl. I am certain I will never do business with them again. I know animal care costs money - but $1500 for a few hours of care? That was beyond ridiculous if you ask me. Thankfully I had enough insurance money to pay (and cancel) the "loan shark" credit card before interest was incurred, but nobody should have to go through that.

    ReplyDelete