This project's goal is to give each family member and myself just 10 minutes of unconditional positive regard every day. All attention is focused on the other person for those 10 minutes and only positive comments or thoughts are allowed. Just 10 minutes often becomes much more. Try it and see. You'll find the Just 10 guidelines on the right side of this blog.







Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ten Funny Minutes

My son was in rare form during his Just 10 this morning.  He shared with me some of the stories he is working on in school.  One of them is about a fast food restaurant, called Fat Boys Burgers.  Fat Boys has an odd assortment of celebrities working there like George Foreman and a canary with a voice translator.

The other story he is working on features a poor, grumpy, old man named, Gerbert Berger Neninger who comes from a very poor area.  He travels the world looking for money to help out his town.  He's organizing it like a tv sitcom and thinks that Gerbert should be played by Arnold Schwartzenager.   His title for his series is "The Approach." 

My son is full of surprises. Even though he has Aspergers, he also has a keen sense of humor.  Andrew's mind is so active that he is often bored and has a lot of trouble with focusing.  If only I can find the secret to help him focus.  This kid could take the world by storm.

During a normal work day at the high school, I meet students who are full of surprises as well  but may not do well academically.  I sometimes wonder if their talents have been discovered by the significant people in their lives.  I wonder if they have someone to really listen to them, to enjoy them and reflect back the positive.  Are they encouraged to celebrate their uniqueness and to shine in a world that is often too dark?

This awareness makes the Just 10 I spend with my own children that much more important.  They do not live on this planet alone.  They have a lot to contribute.  Part of my job is to help them to uncover their gifts and talents and to encourage them to share those things with others.    Just 10 helps me do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment